Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The little things

Yesterday, as I read Frankie's blog, I was inspired to leave her comment. Not only was it particularly amusing, but I had been reading her blog for the past month or so, and I figured it was finally time to let her know how much I was enjoying it. After writing my brief comment, which went somewhere along the lines of "haha that was great", I felt a little ashamed that that was all I could manage to say. Dozens of other readers had left her comments poignantly expressing their support, admiration, and love despite the fact that they were complete strangers, knowing her only through the words on her blog.
I have known Frankie for almost seven years, yet my comment was the least personal. After rereading it, I hesitated, wondering if I wanted to leave this pathetic message in the midst of the many caring and thoughtful comments. Finally, I just pushed entered and went on with my business.
Three minutes hadn't gone by when I glanced back at my computer screen and found an ecstatic IM from Fran, thanking me for posting a little something on her blog. She was so excited that I had been reading and had taken the time to recognize her work. Here I had almost never sent anything because I was afraid it wasn't enough; yet I wound up with a greater thanks than I could have ever expected.
It felt so good knowing the comment meant something. And it made me realize how the smallest things can brighten up ones day and really make a difference. In grade school, the teachers used to beg us to contribute to the tiny piggy bank on their desk, a collection for various charitable causes. "Every penny counts", they told us. And "a little bit from everyone can add up". So we would all eagerly stuff in any coins we found lying at home or deep within our pockets or in the hallway on the way to class. And, sure enough, they did add up. By the end of each month we were able to send a substantial amount of money to a different local charity.
I don't know when it changed, why I was smarter then, but now it seems I only have an "all or nothing" attitude. Unless I can do something grand or spectacular, I often figure why bother: Because I forget to buy a friend a birthday present, I wont even give them a card. Or I don't have the time to answer all my Aunt Nancy's annoying emails, so I never bother even sending a quick "thank you" or "hello". The little things I could do often seem so small or trivial or downright stupid so I hold back. But I realized yesterday how much the little things can matter. Even if they have no great impact, what chance is there that they will do any harm?
So I'm going to try and remember the little things for now on: a smile to a classmate, a piece of candy for my roommates, a comment on a good friend's blog that, though impersonal, just might make them a little happy.

1 Comments:

At 1:30 AM, Blogger Frankie said...

A little happy, or the happiest person alive?? Ignoring the fact that it was really pathetic that I was clearly sitting at my computer just waiting for comments, it really did mean SO much to me to know that you were reading and to get your lovely comment. I know exactly what you mean about the "all or nothing" feeling. I've been having that a lot lately too. It's amazing how easy it is to forget that the little things make such a difference. Thanks so much for the reminder!! And thanks for both letting me read your blog and mentioning me in it. It seriously means the world to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home