Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Written Communication

Im afraid I'm going to lose all ability to communicate orally. It seems that I only talk to people now through aim, emails, facebook comments and, most of all, text messaging. If theres any possible way I can, I will choose texting over an actual phone call. Though it may be less personal, the bright side is that I get to keep mementos of my friends funny comments . This weekend, while visiting my friend Natalie in DC, the quality of text messages I sent and received seemed to be at an all time high. Some were funny, some were touching, and others were just plane strange. For instance, my cousin's fiance sent me a text at 3 in the morning saying simply "The bald eagle stole the bacon". I dont know what this means or why I got it. I can only assume that he was drunk ( well, thats actually pretty much a definite) and that he sent the message to the wrong person. But considering my cousin Liz and I called him last weekend to tell him how much we liked him over his fiance, my cousin and her sister Emily, I guess its only fair that he gets to be weird and creepy too.

Another great text I got was from my friend Morgan. Morgan, who works with me in Block Island and lives out there through the winter, sent me a video of the 007s, my fav Block Island cover band, to tide me over until I get back there and can see them live. Unfortunately though my phone doesn't accept video messages so i had to go online to view it. Furthermore, It didn't come out clearly so, although I THOUGHT I saw two people in the background making out, it was really just two people, standing probably a good ten feet away from each other. So when I sent Morgan texts back asking who was making out, he was clearly confused, and probably thought I was also a bit of a pervert.

My love of texting has also helped me come up with a new party pastime. On Saturday night, Natalie and her roommates had a houseparty for her birthday at their apartment. I had a really good time and all her friends were really friendly, but there were inevitably times when I was without someone to talk to. I decided to spend that time taking pictures of Natalie while she wasnt looking, and then I would send them to her on her phone. Its super creepy, I know, but really funny to see her looks of confusion when she received repeated pictures of herself taken just moments before. Yeah, I'm kinda bizarre.

Really, though, the best part about text messaging is that you don't have to worry abut your phone going off at inopportune times. Rather than a long, obnoxious ring, all you get is a quick beep. I was reminded of how much I prefer this when, on the bus ride home, my friend Sara gave me a call. Several weeks ago I changed Sara's ringer to C.R.E.A.M by The Wutang Clan. Its funny because Sara is probably the whitest person I know, and I doubt if she could even name a Wutang song if asked. But what isn't funny is having loud hardcore rap blast over the quiet bus, drawing attention to me, the equally white girl in the lime green turtleneck and UGGS. However, I wasn't smart enough to change her ringtone afterwards, so really Im just setting myself up for future embarrassment. Luckily, though, my phone rings so rarely that the chances it will happen anytime soon are slim.

Some people aren't in to the texting, but I think it will always be my preferred mode of communication. Its quick, convenient, and can be utilized pretty much anywhere. So mock me if you must but, if you do, expect a really mean text from me about it later. I can write a damn good one too-- I have the practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home