Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Friday, April 07, 2006

My Obsession with Reality

Hi my name is Jane and I'm a reality-TVaholic. It started off slow-- a little Real World, some American Idol-- but as more shows premiere I find that I am unable to resist watching attractive, neurotic, self absorbed Americans humiliate themselves on national TV. Here's a list, in no particular order, of some of my favs:

1) The Real World: A true classic, I wouldn't feel so ashamed about watching it except for the fact that it progressively gets worse every season. I've actually said numerous times that I don't like this season's cast yet I still tune in religiously every Tuesday night. I think I secretly hope that it'll somehow get better and that these social voids will somehow become interesting. What happened to the racist, the bitch, and the homophobe? Has anyone else noticed that everyone is working way too hard to be PC and considerate of others' feelings so they won't be "that guy/girl"? Seriously when even MJ, the southern-accented football player, can't provide some bigoted remarks than something's just not right. The whole season I thought he was gonna hook up with Willie just to prove what an open-minded individual he is. It's time to up the ante, MTV: next season I suggest a conservative southern Baptist, a Howard University African studies major, a rich, gay Jewish New Yorker, bi-racial Siamese twins, Tom Cruise, and a saber tooth tiger. I think that would add some drama.

2) Trading Spouses: this show is genius. They actually stole a premise that originated on the Dave Chappelle show as a form of social satire and made it an actual series. Picture a CEO from NYC and a lumber jack from Huckleberry, Louisiana swapping families. Or an orthodox Jew and a stripper. There are several things that astound me about this show. First, that there are actually people this bizarre out there. Second, that the producers put these mentally handicapped degenerates in such dangerous situations. They'll put a member of the KKK into Al Sharpton's house if they think it will create some friction. Hmmm...maybe MTV should take some tips from FOX. But what really gets me is that in every episode someone inevitably refuses to do the smallest thing and, even worse, is absolutely shocked that the "new mom" would impose this rule. Ok I'll give some leeway to the earlier participants, but are these people not understanding the premise of the show yet? How did they not know what they were getting themselves into?

3)Laguna Beach: Young, rich, good-looking. Enough said.

4) The Real housewives of Orange County: AKA Laguna Beach Botoxed. Great to watch because you get the same egotistical millionaires but with the pleasure of knowing that although they may have more money atleast you still have your youth. Watch them get breast lifts while you do bra-less jumping jacks.

5) The Biggest Loser: After watching good looking people all week, your self esteem will inevitably need a boost. This is when you grab the carton of Ben and Jerry's and watch a bunch of fatties sweat and pant for two overly toned and tanned trainers. Relish in their humiliation and agony, and try to forget that in ten years you'll probably be twice their size. Ahh destiny how cruel you are.

Theirs many more shows I could add to this list but if I get started on Flava of Love I don't think I'll ever stop typing and unfortunately E! is running a Simple Life marathon in 5 minutes. Enjoy living, everyone, but I think I'll stick to reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home