Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Spring Break begins

Since I carelessly lost my wallet last week in a classic "Jane move", I was forced to trek my ass to the DMV yesterday to get a new license. The ticket we drew upon arriving said our wait would only be approximately 20 minutes but, as can only be expected from the DMV, my mom and I spent over two hours there waiting for the ridiculously inept employees to help us. At any giving moment there were no more than two people working, while the rest took their "breaks". Though the DMV is clearly never a place anyone wants to go, I have one thing to say for it: nothing brings people closer together than their mutual hatred for this evil, evil place. Everyone waiting there was friendlier to those around them than people are at church. Everyone was talking, making jokes, starting random conversations with those around them to discuss the idiot working at desk 6. While there I found a new hairdresser, someone helped me fix my watch, and I have a date for next Friday- people there are that nice. It's really somewhat of a beautiful thing when humans can join together and share a smile as they curse the jackasses who work for the DMV.

So I finally have a license again which is great because I really didn't want to have to bring my passport with me when I went out that night. Freddie and I were heading to Solaris after having dinner at my Aunt Nell's to indulge in some Long Island Ice Teas, something we had been craving for well over a week. Nothing beat the look of impressed recognition we got from Celeste, the bartender, as we ordered them. Clearly it is not an often purchased drink there. Unfortunately it was the only drink she served us that night since she got off work just minutes later. A new guy we had never seen before replaced her and he was one of the worst bartenders ever. Everyone was outraged at the pace at which he waited on people. I mean, the guy should work for the DMV!

As can only be expected from a night that starts off with some wine, a white Russian, and then a Long Island, Freddie and I ended up getting pretty drunk. Kilkenny and Mikey met up with us and we ended up walking down to Toweys to finish up the night. After heading home, Freddie and I had one more beer and watched home movies: an odd drunken habit we picked up over Christmas break. Laughing at my cousin Liz in the videos, I had the urge to call her- at 4 in the morning- to discuss with her the humorous nature of her behavior- another bad habit I've developed. She was very nice to me for clearly being exhausted and not wanting to talk to her drunken younger cousin about playing in blow up pools and Easter egg hunts. What can I say, I have an overabundant love for the girl and sometimes I need to talk to her in the middle of the night. So my apologies, Liz, for being a degenerate. Unfortunately, I have to warn you that it probably won't be the last time.

Tomorrow I head off to Santa Cruz with Mayu for spring vacay. It should be a marvelous time. I've never been to the west coast so I'm looking forward to checking it out and judging for myself whether Aaron Karo's observations about east coast vs west coast are true.

Then when I get back its off to State College for St Patty's Day with my girls. Looks like Alice might be coming along now too so it should be quite the weekend. So much too look forward to! I can't wait! I'm sure I'll have plenty to discuss in the future- and Liz, you might want to put the cell on silent because there's a three hour time difference between Cali and PA so the calls could be coming in quite late!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home