Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Friday, May 26, 2006

Rocking the Block

Well, we finally arrived in Block Island. Despite a shaky start, I made it to the ferry on time. Our friend Timmy met me and Sara there, and we made plans for the evening before heading back to the house to unpack our ungodly amount of groceries. We had made a Costco trip the day before coming and kind of got out of hand. I’m pretty sure we have every type of cheese ever made and enough snacks to last us throughout the summer. Sara’s cousin Erica, who is staying at the house until Saturday with her boyfriend and Sara’s grandmother, was astonished by the amount of goods we brought. She clearly underestimates us.

Pulling up to the house that evening, I was so excited to be back. It was a so nice out and, at 6:30, it was the most beautiful time of day at the house. The ocean, which you can see from Sara’s yard, was blue as ever and the breeze was just perfect. After unloading, Sara and I sat down to eat a little something and I was continually gazing out the window at the gorgeous view. Even though I lived here before for an entire summer, I never tire of that sight. It’s absolutely breathtaking, and I look forward to sitting outside every evening to enjoy it.

Anyways, that evening Sara and I were pretty exhausted from our long trip to the island, but we were looking forward to seeing people so we decided to meet up with Timmy at Club Soda. Despite the name, Club Soda is anything but clubby. It’s a small, relaxed little bar, as many of the bars on the island are, perfect for chilling out and listening to some live music. It was Open Mike Night that evening so we got to hear some good music, and we even ran into a few people we knew, although not as many as we had hoped. By 12 or so I could feel my head drooping towards the bar counter as if it was magnetized. Sara and I both agreed to head home and get some sleep before we took a nap in our barstools. Before leaving though, Timmy invited us to his house the next night for some wine and cheese before going to Martini Night. We were of course loving the idea and agreed to call him about it.

It was a good thing Sara and I decided to get some rest because the next morning we were awoken bright and early by loud chatter outside our room. Several people were over the house for bird banding, a practice that has taken place at Bluestone (the Lapham’s house) for years. Nets are placed around the property to catch various birds from the island. They are then collected to be weighed, documented, and banded with a silver bracelet, before being released again into the wild. The Lapham’s are big environmentalists and are known for banding by all the locals. Though Erica and Kim tried to get my to release some of the birds, I was way to chicken (no pun intended). I did, however, hold some of the bags after we got the birds from the nets to bring back to the house so maybe I’ll work my way up slowly but surely to actually holding a bird.

In the afternoon, after I took a nice two hour nap, Sara and I headed to town to figure out our working arrangements for the summer. Overall, our efforts were pretty much useless. At the Atlantic, where Sara wants to work, she was told yet again that she would have to wait several more days to get a definite answer, and no one was there when she went to The Nature Conservancy, her other job for the summer. Likewise, when I went to Harbor Grill, Erin, my boss, wasn’t in yet. I did however see my friends George and Gigi which was very exciting. I was glad to know they would both be back at Harbor since I had heard there were a lot of new employees. It was comforting to know that I would at least know someone.

That evening, after a delicious dinner made by Erica, Sara and I headed to Timmy’s. He was there with his friends Nick and Baggy, who had clearly gotten a good start on the wine already. I didn’t get carried away on either the wine or the cheese since a) I was designated driver for the night and b) I was still SO stuffed from dinner. But I had a glass or two of wine and we all chatted for awhile and had a nice time. Baggy is working for Christopher Walken, who has a house on the island, so he told us a few stories about that. Unfortunately, neither he nor anybody else working with him has ever actually met Walken since he is pretty reclusive. I do at least now know where he lives so maybe I’ll do a little stalking in my free time.

We were all having a lot of fun and it was a really chill night until I had to go and prove that I’m a complete jackass even when I’m sober. Sara and I went upstairs to snoop around Timmy’s house, because that’s the kind of girls we are, and sat down in his nook overlooking the living room for a little bit. She was telling me how this past Thanksgiving, in typical DOT fashion (Drunk Old Timmy), Timmy had fallen down the stairs and had to get several stitches. We laughed at his stupidity before heading downstairs to rejoin the group. Well guess what stupid little Jane did. Half way down the stairs, my wine glass is up in the air, my ass in on the ground, and I am sliding at full speed down the carpeted stairs like an Olympic bobsledder. I screamed. Sara screamed. Everyone came running. At least Timmy had done the same thing, with worse consequences might I add, so I felt a little better about my clumsiness though I was still extremely embarrassed and quite sore might I add.

After I rubbed my bruised ass for a little bit, we headed out to The Albion. Martini Night plans were nixed as soon as we found out our friend Rick and his band, 007, were playing the Albion that night. I’m glad they were because I ended up having the greatest time. Not only did I run in to a bunch of my friends, but Rick’s band f-ing killed it. They are absolutely amazing, and everyone was digging them. The best part about Block Island is that no one there gives a crap. Everyone was basking in their whiteness, hitting the dance floor and flailing their legs and clapping their hands over their heads. It was actually good white dancing, if there is such a thing. The band was taking requests too, under the condition that you bought them a shot, so they were playing the music everyone wanted to here, including a rendition of “Legalize it” which was changed to “Rick Lysic”, an awesome remix I must say.

I of course, however, had to be a smartass when I heard Rick say they would play “anything” as long as a round of shots were bought for the band. I requested my absolute favorite song and the one and only one I wanted to hear: Celine Dion’s My Heart Will Go On. Surprisingly, they didn’t know it. I tried a few others and finally Rick had to make an announcement that “Thanks to Jane, they will no longer be taking requests”. Way to go, Me. I still bothered him to learn it though because, after all, he did say they’d play “anything” and I’m pretty sure Celine’s classic ballad is included in that criterion. I gave the band until August to learn it. I’ll try and keep you updated on their progress.

Unfortunately, tonight Sara and I will be taking it easy since I start work tomorrow. I finally got a hold of Erin and I’m all booked up for the weekend so I will hopefully have some cash in my hands very shortly. I even ran into my boss from Footprints, the clothing store I also worked at, while at the Albion. She said she’d love to have me back so I’ll be stopping in there Saturday to discuss shifts. It seems I’m all set up for summer, Thank God. I just hope everything is like riding a bike and I remember what I have to do. I had dreams all last night that I kept screwing up at working and getting awful customers. Except for Adam Sandler. For some reason, he was in my dream and came into the Harbor. Let’s hope it’s a premonition.

Well, this blog has babbled on for far too long. I’ll try to update a little more often in the future so they’re not as long and incoherent. Hopefully, I’ll have some good stories after the Memorial Day weekend. And hopefully, they won’t involve me falling on my ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home