Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Summer Dreaming

This week has been totally chaotic. Monday I returned from Philly to get started on my lengthy list of assignments. Tuesday I had a Methods exam. Wednesday I had a presentation, Thursday a paper, and I have two more papers due early next week. Now, believe it or not, on a normal basis I am rather unproductive. I have a tendency to procrastinate, daydream, and take extensive mid-day naps. So imagine how difficult its been trying to accomplish this all with the impending summer just weeks away.

After much confusion over my summer plans, I finally made arrangements with Sara to stay with her again in Block Island. Initially I was somewhat hesitant to do so for several reasons. But, I threw my concerns aside and now I am extremely excited to return to the Island. Sara and I have been talking about it non-stop. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if I send her another text message about it she might set up a restraining order against me.

But, for anyone who's been to Block Island, my enthusiasm is more than understandable. The three months I spent there two years ago were some of the best in my life. I made friends I speak with to this day, friends I hope I will continue to keep in touch with for years to come. Working at the Harbor Grill was probably the best job I've had. I spent my days goofing off while making more money than I have any other summer. Luckily, after extreme difficulty contacting my boss, I've secured my job there again and, as I've been told, many of my old work friends will be returning. I'm looking forward to seeing them all, and am praying that I have no trouble getting back in to the routine.

However, though I'm excited for my summer, I'm trying hard not to hold my expectations too high. I know I will have a great time, but I have to remind myself that it won't be just like it was before. I can't expect to walk into the same old scene. Things will have changed. New people will be there, old ones will have left. I can't expect to relive the past. I have to try and look forward to a whole new experience in Block Island. Unfortunately, this can be difficult for me at times. It's not that I don't like change, I just don't like change that occurs without my knowing, without my consent. It makes me feel as if people have been sneaking behind my back, as if I've been left out.

Fortunately, there are some changes I am looking forward to. For starters, Sara's sister, Fiona, and Fiona's Italian boyfriend, Sandro, will be staying with us this year. Since it was only Me, Sara, and Mayu last time, it will be a little strange sharing the house with a BOY, but I adore Fiona and, from what I've heard about Sandro, I'm sure I'll love him too. Besides, they are both in culinary school, so as long as they cook for me on occasion I'm fairly confident we'll get along just fine.

This summer will also be my first on the island as a legal 21 year old. Unlike NYC, which a 19 year girl can get spoiled by, Block Island is far more strict on IDs. As an Island worker, I was fortunately given some leniency, but there was still that constant threat of arrest looming over our heads. This year I will be free from those worries, able to go to any bar I want, buy from any store I want and, best of all, indulge in my "shift drink", a complementary cocktail received after clocking out from work. It was never that bad when I was shot down by a bar or unable to grab a case from the grocery store. What really frustrated me was being unable to sit down with my coworkers and have a beer after work. But now that is no longer a concern, and I plan on trying every glass of wine on Harbor's very extensive wine list.

But before I can drink my mudslide, have a pondsider from Froozies, or dance the night away at Kitten's, I have to get through these grueling next three weeks. It's not gonna be easy, with the thought of the Lapham's view from their back porch creeping in my head, but somehow I'll get everything I need to done. And as soon as I do, I'm grabbing myself a drink and toasting to yet another unforgettable summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home