Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Friday, June 09, 2006

Thirsty Thursdays

Since I was working the PM shift yesterday, I was blessed with another miserable day off. Luckily, Sara was off too though so I had someone to keep me company, and we headed off into town to take care of some business– checking out the rates at the gym, going to Froozies to pick up Sara’s paycheck and order me some organic decaf (its awesome), put some clothes I can’t afford on hold, hit up the library for a library card, and finally stop by the grocery store to get some flour for muffin making and a bottle of Baileys. As soon as the weather drops below 60, Sara and I immediately crave Bailey’s and coffee- it’s a good thing we’re so on the same page. But this time, as we were picking up our Baileys, Sara and I were immediately intrigued by a bottle of white chocolate liqueur they had, and of course had to buy that as well.

When we finally got home, Sara and I began a rowdy game of Boggle (yes, we’re old ladies) and tried our new goodies. Drinks like Baileys are definitely going to be what turn me into an alchey, because I could and would drink them any time of day, all day, as Sara and I proved by cracking open our bottle at 12:30 in the afternoon. Believe it or not, though, it was pretty quite around here despite our hardcore game of Boggle. That is until we heard some random screaming from outside. Sara’s house is in the middle of a nature trail, so its not uncommon for people to wander by, but this noise was definitely more raucous than usual. We peeked out the front door, trying to get a glimpse of who was there, and saw four shady guys standing up on the hill smoking cigarettes, drinking beers, and peering down at us yelling. Who else was it but our local degenerates Timmy, Nick, Billy, and their friend Justin. Apparently, on their day off they had decided to drink beers and roam The Maze and happened to stumble upon Sara’s house. So they came in and joined us and of course made fun of us for sitting around playing Boggle, which is understandable of Billy and Justin, but considering Timmy and Nick are both in their mid thirties spending their Thursday afternoon drinking Bud Light in the woods, I really think they should watch what they say.

As is likely to happen when Timmy and Nick show up somewhere, the drinking was turned up a notch, and we soon found ourselves in the garage playing beer pong. And of course when I say “we” I really mean “they” because I had to go into my lame-o job in just a few hours. But I sat out with them, still indulging in my white chocolate liqueur watching the old men ardently trying to learn to play beer pong. Tim and Nick are both so old that they had never played before, instead playing a similar version where they actually use paddles and try to knock the ball in to one lone cup. Surprisingly, they picked up on the many rules quickly, which Sara was playing like the sorority Nazi she is, and even turned out to be pretty good. Not that they won a single game anyways, but a valiant effort all the same.

Cursing my life, I had to go take a shower for work soon into their little tourney, and when I returned downstairs they were all heading to the Albion to shoot pool and bother our friend Rick who bartends there. As I expected, two hours later I was sitting in an empty restaurant with absolutely no reason for me to be there. Gigi and Jess were at their laptop looking through Myspace, the cooks were in the back playing Scrabble, and I was reading the current issue of Cosmo for the 15th time. The place wasn’t just dead, it was non-existent. So and hour later, Erin thankfully cut me and I headed home for a quick nap. Just as I woke up though, Sara, Tim, Nick and Justin had returned, and it was my turn to finally play a few rounds of pong. As usual, I started out pretty poorly, but luckily Nick was drunk enough to repeatedly knock over his own cups, making our inevitable domination even more likely. Although, his constant farting did almost cause us to lose our concentration, if not pass out entirely from intoxication.

The rest of the night was fairly tame. We headed over to the Albion to see Rick’s band, The 007s, play their weekly gig. As usual, tons of people were there and the band kicked serious ass. Unfortunately, though, they still haven’t learned to play My Heart Will Go On, as I requested last time, so Sara and I will be paying a trip to all their houses to offer them a copy of her Titanic Soundtrack--Yes, Sara does have her Titanic Soundtrack with her– so they can hopefully learn it by next week or so. We definitely have other people on our side pushing for it, so I think we have a good chance of hearing it within the next few weeks, despite Rick’s extreme resistance.

Unfortunately, though, I must now head to work. I’m guessing we have 10 tables today tops. Magazines just aren’t gonna be enough to keep me occupied anymore. I just might have to switch to Bailey’s!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home