Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Im Never Drinking Again

I feel like shit. Its 8 oclock at night, and I am still hungover from last night. For breakfast this morning I ate grilled cheese, a bowl of pasta, and George’s “meat cakes”, pancakes with pieces of bacon and sausage in the batter. Then, when I got home from my horrendous 8 hour shift, I threw up for the first time in nearly four years.

What could cause this agony, you ask? Well, last night Sara decided to have a bunch of people over for pong and flip-cup in our garage. I was working dinner at the grill, but I made plans to head over with my friends Gosia, Magda, and Bryan afterwards. Fortunately, something was wrong with one of the grills so we closed a half hour early. Unfortunately, though, Bryan and Gosia’s last tables took FOREVER to leave. So, while I was waiting for them, I sat with my friend Colleen at the bar and had a glass of wine. I planned on just having the one drink since we are entitled to a free one for every shift we work, but next thing I know Colleen has me doing a “Dirty Silk Panties” shot, her latest obsession, with her and Gigi, who was on bar for the night. I had never done the shot before, and I will NEVER do one again because im fairly confident that its what led to my downfall that night.

Well, that or the numerous games of flip cup we ended up playing. When I got back to the house Sara and Natalie had already started playing pong with Timmy, Justin, Nick, Dave, Fiona, and Sandro. But when the rest of us arrived we decided to switch over to Survivor flip-cup, where the team who loses a round has to vote off one of their players. Though a fun game, it really messes you up if you play with a lot of people and are one of the last to be voted off, which is exactly what happened to me. We played two long games and I stayed in both to the end. I was really proud of my dominance in the game, but also REALLY drunk because of it. Natalie and I ended up crashing on my bed insisting we werent coming back downstairs and were just gonna “cuddle” all night. Five minutes later, after puking in our bathroom, Natalie was taken home by Bryan, her brother, and I was passed out cold.


This morning I paid the price. Though you’d think I’d be rewarded for my victories last night, I was anything but. I woke up at 7 am extremely nauseous and, after eating a grilled cheese sandwich and some pasta, headed to work. I stumbled in still feeling extremely gross and walked up to George, my friend and a chef at the grill, and demanded some sort of greasy meat, the reason I ended up with his special "meat cakes". It just might be the most glorious hungover food EVER, something I’d never consume in any other condition but made me feel GREAT while I was eating it.

Unfortunately, though, the relief only lasted while I was actually swallowing the meatcakes. Then, afterwards, I was back to feeling like 100% shit. I was tired, weak, and nauseous. All I wanted to do was lie down and go to bed. Then, to make matters worse, at the height of my agony, some kid actually parks himself across the street and starts playing the bag pipes- loudly and poorly. God was clearly having a good laugh at my expense...as was half of the Harbor staff as they watched me cringing and groaning as this 12 year old squeaked his way through the same 3 songs over and over. It was like something from a movie: a situation so perfectly bizarre that no one would ever expect it to happen in real life. Yet it did. To me. On the bright side, though, I wasn’t the only one suffering: most of the office staff was hungover as well, including my boss who was therefore pretty understanding of my inability to function. Not understanding enough to let me go home, but you can only ask for so much.

So, needless to say, it was a day of hell. At four o’clock, I bolted home and collapsed on my bed. An hour later, I heaved all over our toilet. I’ve never been able to make myself throw up but, after today, I understand why everyone does it. Although I still feel kinda crappy, I’m in MUCH better shape than I was before. It’s been a long time since a night of drinking has caused me to swear off drinking but I have a feeling it may be awhile before I can take a drink again. Judging from the way I felt today, I may be hungover for the rest of the week. Looks like Ill be the girl drinking water at the bar! Hey, at least, I’ll save some money!

1 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Frankie said...

I have a feeling this resolution lasted maaaybe 24 hours. If not, I just don't know who you are anymore ;). I'm sorry you were so sick, that's a really horrendous feeling. I'm glad I get to hear the disgusting details of the island adventures ;). Miss you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home