Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Three More Days

In exactly three days from right this very moment- just 72 hours- I will be flying over the Atlantic ocean on my way to three glorious months in Madrid.

Im excited, I'm nervous, I'm impatient, I'm scared. Sometimes I want to do nothing but daydream about my upcoming months and at others I try and shut it out of my thoughts completely. I'm essentially making this trip all on my own. Sure there will be other people from Manhattan at the Complutense, the university I'm attending,but I am not friends with any of these people nor am I certain I will have any of my classes with them. Furthermore, I'm not living in dorms like the majority of the students. Instead, I'll be sharing an apartment with three other people. This could either be awesome or a complete disaster.

On the plus side, my roomates- a french girl and two spanish guys- have lived in the city for some time and are therefore familiar with the local sites. They are also slightly older- out of college- which I don't mind since I tend to get along best with people a few years older than me. However, this could be completely inconsequential since I've also been informed that there is very little interaction between any of the roommates.

On the downside, not only am I living sperately from the students, my apartment is a full 40 minutes from the university. I can deal with doing a 40 minute trip at the beginning and end of my school day, but if I have to go 40 minutes to get everywhere- bars, restuarants, stores- then I'm either hopping on the first flight back to Philly or hoeing it up to some Spanish man with a more conveniently located apartment. Either works for me.

But in the end, what really matter is that I am going to learn some Spanish. I don't care if it kills me, I'm coming back fluent- or at least able to understand a Telemundo soap opera. But, considering I'm taking four Spanish language courses, I think I'll be able to do it. Either way, there's no turning back now: The tickets are booked, my tuition is paid, and my roommates are expecting me. Now I just need to get my ass in gear and pack those bags. Hmmm...maybe I won't be going to Madrid afterall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home