Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Because my school shares a coordinate psych department with the College of Mount Saint Vincent, I take several of my classes at their campus about two miles away. Manhattan runs a shuttle bus there, but, since its been warm, I often choose to walk at least one way or the other. Its good exercise, and it doesnt take me that much more time since I often have to wait for the bus anyways. But, even more so, its an extremely pleasant walk. Though MC is technically in the Bronx, it falls right on the edge, just next to the beautiful suberb of Riverdale. Its a fairly wealthy area, filled with large homes and plush yards, yet pretty unassuming also. On Riverdale Ave., one of the neighborhood's main streets, there are often people walking around, mothers pushing their young children in strollers, elderly couples out for some afternoon sunshine, and business men on their way to the nearby deli for lunch.

I walked home today after class, and it was incredibly uplifting. After a long winter and a rainy month so far, it was nice seeing people out on the streets, smiling, laughing, and talking to those they pass. Normally I take Riverdale Ave and then turn down to Broadway, but today I took the back route, walking along the Henry Hudson to the residential areas nearby. The houses there are gorgeous, and everything so quiet. Its hard to believe that just a half a mile away lies busy Broadway, filled with street vendors, honking taxis, and the obnoxiously loud subway.

I love that I can have both here in my part of the Bronx. I love that walking down one street, there is the hectic lifestyle typical of New York City, and on another its like any small town. I love the diversity of the people-- Black, Hispanic, Asian, Jewish Orthodox. I love the family owned delis, Irish pubs, and small grocers-- but thank God there's three Dunkin Donuts in walking distance so I can get my iced coffees. Its a perfect balance, made for someone like me, so incredibly fickle and unsure of what they want.

I'll miss this when I graduate. I've said it a million times, but I will in no way miss the papers, the exams, and the 8 am labs that have filled my college career. I am sick, sick, sick of school and ready to try something else for awhile. But I will miss Riverdale, and if I ever have the money, I would gladly live here some day. I just hope it retains its charm for the 100 years it will take me to afford a house in this zipcode. But for now I guess I will just have to enjoy it while Im here, and hope for the best in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home