Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Summing things up and winding them down

Wow, I can't believe it's been more than a month since I last updated. The time here is just flying by. I am so busy with school, travels, and other things, its hard to keep track of it all.

Since I last wrote, I've moved out of my old apartment into a residence on Gran Via. It was definately a downgrade in quality-- I share a bathroom and can touch both sides of the room with my arms outstretched--but my location has improved immensely. Gran Via is essentially the Broadway of Madrid. And, although the area is a little sketchy, I'm right in the hub of things. There's almost always something exciting going on nearby. For instance, last week, while on my way to my friend Sherry's place, I ended up walking past the Spanish premiere for the new James Bond movie (I saw Daniel Craig!), and just last night I watched a screaming drunk passed out in my alley get carried away by paramedics (I saw his butt crack!).

But, even though I love my new place, I spend very little time there. Being in El Centro keeps me very busy. Its so easy now to meet up with my friends for dinner, go out shopping, or just head over to Sherry's to watch a little Grey's Anatomy. Plus, I have been spending all my weekends traveling. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of going out the night before many of the trips I had scheduled earlier in the semester, causing me to sleep through my departure times, but lately I have been making my way around more.

For my most recent trip, just this past weekend, I went to Florence to visit my friend Fiona and her fiance, Sandro. Plus, Fiona's sister and my good friend, Sara, flew over from Miami to celebrate Thanksigiving with us. It was sad being away from my family for the holiday, but if I had to be somewhere else it would definately be in Italy with a certified culinary school student. Fiona, of course, made a delicious meal, and we gorged ourselves on turkey and stuffing, and completely intoxicated ourselves with fancy local wine and grappa.

On Saturday, after we had pretty much destroyed any semblance of leftovers, we went to a truffle festival near the city. For anyone who doesn´t know, truffles are not just the delicious little balls of chocolately heaven that I was expecting, but also a mushroom-like root popular in Italy. Though I was a little dissapointed by the discovery, these truffles failed to disapoint. We walked from stand to stand trying the samples each vendor had prepared. There were spreads, sauces, cheeses, and even a ¨lard mouse with truffles¨....mmmm. Along with the truffles, they also had stands with cookies and wine, so my dietary requirements were pretty much met. Then, after nibbling samples for two hours, we did the only thing we could think of- we went out to eat. By the end of the night, the jeans had been unbuttoned and I was walking around like a pregnant woman, but damn was it worth it!

Sadly, the next morning at the butt-crack of dawn, it was time for me to leave. I sulked the whole car ride to the airport, not only because I had to say good bye to the beautiful Tuscan countryside that was Fiona and Sandro´s backyard, but also because I had to leave my wonderful friends as well. Spending Thanksigiving in a foreign country can make you a little homesick, especially when you get calls from your brother and all your friends while they party in your kitchen back at home-- hypothetically, of course. Luckily, since then I have recovered, and I have been soaking up my remaining few weeks here in Madrid. Having to leave so soon has made me realize how much fun I am having: the friends, the food, and, of course, the nightlife will be hard to leave. Fortunately, I have a busy schedule until its time to say good bye to help keep my mind off that. This weekend I am heading to Granada, next week its Paris, and then my Mom comes to visit right before I head home for Christmas. And if I have to say goodbye to Madrid, I'm glad its to go see all my Philly friends. It feels like ages, and I can't wait to hang out with them.

Well, it's not long now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home