Observational Humor

Just me commenting and complaining about life in general

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Slow Days and Fast Nights

Where to begin? So much has happened in the past three weeks that I can't believe its actually only been three weeks since I returned to Block Island. From the begining, it was clear that it was going to be the craziest summer yet. Just minutes after arriving on island, as I greeted friends at The Harbor Grill where I work, I was forced to step into my new position as Assistant Manager. I was out in the hotel lobby, which adjoins the restaurant, when I heard a loud crash from the bar. Several others and I rushed in to find D Fagen, a notorious local drunk, lying on the floor next to his barstool. Fagen, who has been banned by the majority of the bars on the island, had apperently fallen asleep while drinking his red wine and slipped off his seat. Lying on the ground, he began to yell and curse, refusing help from George and Berger, who had come out from the kitchen when they heard the commotion. Attempts to call a cab for him were made, but the poor drunk was extremely resistant towards the idea. "You're all bitches!" he yelled. "I own this place!". Arms flailed, shoving ensued, and I desperately-- and hopelessly-- tried to talk some sense into this completely senseless man.

But nothing we said or did could calm him down. He was drunk, angry, and becoming increasingly violent. Teetering by the edge of the porch, i was certain he was going to topple off the side. Poor Trish hadnt yet seen more than a block of the island, and here she was now, watching a poor old drunk take swings at me. Finally, George and Berger made me step away since it was becoming more and more likely that I was going to get pushed over the porch railing. It wasn't until he fell over-- and couldnt pull himself back up-- that we acheived some sort of calm. Minutes later the cops arrived and carried Fagen off the porch by his belt loops, swinging his frail, limp body like a duffle bag.

Luckily, since then, we have not had any more scenes like that in the restuarant. In fact, besides a busy memorial Day Weekend, it has been extremly slow on the island. Schools aren't out yet and the weather is still crappy, so the hoards of tourists that will eventually come are still absent. Though we aren't making a lot of money because of it, on the bright side we have had plenty of time for goofing off in and out of work. Last Thursday was the second annual Toga Party at The Albion and this Tuesday marked the beginning of the Block Island Music Fest at Captain Nicks. Words can't fully describe the debauchery that has taken place, but believe me, it's been epic. If these events are any indication of what's to arrive, I can only hpe I'll make it out alive.

Ride or Die '07...let's do it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home